[OM] Re: Crazy experiment

Subject: [OM] Re: Crazy experiment
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 01:00:33
I'd assumed all those screw-on 0.42x fisheye adaptors were made by the same manufacturer and simply relabeled by various brands, but perhaps they're not. Mine is surprisingly good (as $8 pawn shop toys go). Lots of barrel distortion, sure, and edge softness, sure. But I wouldn't kick it out of my camera bag. Mine is considerably better optically than a peephole.

Here are a couple of cityscapes that adequately demonstrate most relevant qualities of these adaptors:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1005538&a=7442498&p=27492677&Sequence=0&res=high

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1005538&a=7442498&p=26270204&Sequence=0&res=high

Both were taken using a Zuiko 50/1.8 and 0.42x adaptor - equivalent focal length is approximately 21mm. Some vignetting/corner darkening is noticeable.

Combining the adaptor with a conventional 28mm wide angle produces a circular image with more of a true fisheye effect, at the expense of more pronounced edge softness. I prefer to use the adaptor with 35mm and 50mm lenses.

These inexpensive 0.42x adaptors have some advantages that merit serious consideration: Where else are you going to find an f/1.8, 1.4 or even 1.2 21mm lens (depending on which normal lens you use)? And you can use the filters you already own between the conventional lens and the 0.42x adaptor - beats heck out of having to buy another, larger and more expensive polarizer, for example.

Lex
===

Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 09:01:25 +1100
From: wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

...the screw on "fisheye" (0.42X) adapters aren't much better.