[OM] Shutter + Exposure Test equipment limitations

Subject: [OM] Shutter + Exposure Test equipment limitations
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 08:53:47 -0800
Arnie K. writes
(Re: 2sp&4t exposure error, was Re: [OM] OT - N*k*n FM3A):

<< How does one measure the shutter speed? >>

Ideally with test equipment. Contact a repair shop and see if you can
have your cameras checked out.

This brings up an interesting, potential limitation of shutter and
exposure checkers. All test equipment is not created equal. When testing
a camera with a separate photocell for the viewfinder meter (like an
OM-2), the readout in the viewfinder isn't necessarily what the camera
is exposing at. You might have an accurate viewfinder reading, but be
getting a wrong exposure, since that is controlled by a different
photocell or photocells.

Cameras with OTF metering would be especially prone to errors on older
testing equipment without film plane sensors. Even equipment with a film
plane sensor would have to have the surface of the sensor with the same
reflectance (120r 18%?) as the curtains of the shutter.

I'd love to hear some comments about this. Have equipment manufacturers
accounted for this potential error in sensor reflectance? My casual
observation says no.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV