Re: [OM] Quick question on weight and batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] Quick question on weight and batteries
From: rtomcala <rtomcala@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 22:26:59 -0500
John,
  The cells that you spotted are most likely alkaline cells (625A).  It
is the chemical process of the cell that determines the voltage.  So for
silver and alkaline cells the voltage would be around 1.5-1.55 volts.
NiCad, NiMh and Lead-Acid cells yield about a nominal 1.2 volts.
Zinc-Air would give you about 1.4 volts and Mercury cells give 1.35
volts.  There are many other technologies about, but currently
production of small cells is pretty much limited to the above.  Larger
cells include Li-ion and many others.
  So, even though they have reproduced the size/shape factor, it's not
likely that they have duplicated the voltage of the original mercury
cell.
  There is a bit left out of this explanation to keep it simple.  And,
Yes, the OM-1 meter is battery sensitive and Olympus has issued a
warning about using the alkaline cells (625A) as a substitute of the
correct one (625).  At best it causes meter inaccuracy, at worst is
could cause damage.
Rand E.