Re: [OM] Wildly [OT] - I combined my camera hobby with my programming ho

Subject: Re: [OM] Wildly [OT] - I combined my camera hobby with my programming hobby
From: "Tom A. Trottier" <TomATrottier@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 02:30:31 -0500
Dear Donald,

Sure, what do you want to look for?
        - subject
        - date
        - person(s)
        - ?

What do you want to store
        - subject
        - date
        - film type
        - push processed?
        - person(s)

Do you want by image or by roll?

My suggestion: (table: field, field,...)
        - subject table: Scode, Sdesc
        - person table, Pcode, Pfname, Plname
        - roll table: Rcode, filmtype, pushed?, dateprocessed, camera, notes
        - image table, Rcode, frameNum (00_-39A), date, lens, f/stop, speed,
flash, notes ...
        - imageSubject table: Rcode, frameNum, Scode
        - imagePerson table: Rcode, frameNum, Pcode

All the Xcodes are short keys. I suggest 4 letters for subject &
person and a sequential number for Rcode, or use the processing date
with a letter for multiple rolls in a day.

Essentially, don't repeat stuff inside a table (e.g. fields subject1,
subject2, etc) because it both limits you and makes searching &
reporting harder. Make new tables, add some common keys to match
entries, & go on.

You're better off using "natural" identifiers, like dates and
framenumbers than making up stuff. Just make sure the keys uniquely
identify the rest of the data in the table.

Or read photo.net:
With a minimum of mechanical labor, I managed to get thousands of
images on-line, in three sizes of JPEG and a 2000x3000 pixel
FlashPix. What was my reward? Hundreds of e-mail messages from people
asking where they could find a picture of a Golden Retriever or a
waterfall. Once again MIT friends and Perl came through for me. Jin
Choi spent 15 minutes writing a Perl script to grab up all my
captions from the flat files into one big list. I then stuffed the
list into an Illustra relational database table:
    create table philg_photo_cds (
        photocd_id              varchar(20) not null primary key,
        -- bit vectors done with ASCII 0 and 1; probably convert this to
        -- Oracle 8 abstract data type
        jpeg_resolutions        char(6),
        -- on which resolutions to write copyright label
        copyright_resolutions   char(6),
        copyright_label         varchar(100),
        add_borders_p           char(1) check (add_borders_p in ('t','f')),
        sharpen_p               char(1) check (sharpen_p in ('t','f')),
        -- how this will be published
        url_stub                varchar(100)    -- e.g., 'pcd3735/'
    );

    create table philg_photos (
        photo_id        integer not null primary key,
        photocd_id      varchar(20) not null references philg_photo_cds,
        cd_image_number integer,        -- will be null unless photocd_id is set
        filename_stub   varchar(100),   -- we may append frame number or cd
    image number
        caption         varchar(4000),
        tech_details    varchar(4000)
    )

    -- build a full-text index using the PLS extension to Illustra
    create index philg_photos_pls_index on philg_photos using pls
    ( filename_stub, caption, tech_details );
After an hour or two of programming, I was able to let users do full-
text searches through my image filenames, captions, and tech details
from
{HYPERLINK "http://db.photo.net/stock/"}http://db.photo.net/stock/.
Try it out right now with
{HYPERLINK"http://db.photo.net/stock/search.tcl?query_string=Golden+R