[OM] Quality issues on the 600mm tele?

Subject: [OM] Quality issues on the 600mm tele?
From: "Olaf Greve" <olaf_greve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 09:05:59 -0000
Hi,

Although it's not a listed combination in the eSIF, I have used a 2X-A with the 300/4.5 with excellent results.

Hmmm, I too have tried this for a few shots, and I was underwhelmed by the results: not completely sharp and tough to focus (even with a 2-4 screen)...

It _does_ require a very sturdy tripod, cable release, and even then use of the self-timer to prefire the mirror and stop-down is recommended.

This may have been my problem: the tripod I used was not very sturdy, I didn't use the self-timer (I used a cable release), and I think I didn't stop the combo down enough.

Perhaps results get better when using the above precautions and stopping down two stops, the issue is then that all of a sudden you find yourself using an effective 600/16+ lens, which is rather slow for my likings (but maybe I'm just spoiled by using the faster glass like the 100/2).

Either way: a far better match should be the 1.4xA (which I don't have). This converter is actually matched for the 300/4.5 and gives far better results than the 2xA. Advantage: it's a stop faster than the 2xA; disadvantages: it's much harder to find, more expensive, and it doesn't get you to 600mm, but rather only to 420mm.

I guess it's a tough call, but I personally found the 300/4.5 + 2xA rather impractical for doing bird photography (unless you're willing to stake out a place for a long time in the hope a bird will appear in such a way that you can move your setup quickly enough to capture it). Probably the same applies to the 300/4.5 + 1.4xA, as at 420mm you still need to be pretty close to the bird in order to get some decent pictures of it. Come to think of it: I don't know what the best option would be. The 350+mm lenses are BIG and HEAVY (besides, the 600mm uses a rack and pinion focusing mechanism which you may find impractical) not to mention EXPENSIVE...

Hmmm, sorry to not be able to give some decent advice here. Please take the above words as just an "unstructured collection of some thoughts", and perhaps you can get something useful out of it :)

Cheers!
Olafo

PS: Perhaps you can ask Jaap Korten (j.korten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) for some opinions about the above combinations and the 600/6.5 lens. Jaap doesn't seem to use lenses like this very often, but I believe he does have one at present, so perhaps he can test some things for you...