Re: [OM] OT - N*k*n FM3A

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - N*k*n FM3A
From: Simon E <ruralwales@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 02:02:51 -0800 (PST)
Winsor wrote:

>The idea of a student camera is rather curious to me. It  seems to me
>to be a basic manual focus camera with some sort of automatic or
>semi-automatic exposure system that is built and priced so cheaply
>that a student can afford it and hopefully it will last long enough
>to take mediocre pictures for the class.

I always thought a "student" camera was one with few or no frills, which allowed
(or forced?) the user to learn the mechanics of exposure, choice of aperture and
shutter speed etc. The Pentax K1000 was for many years considered a student or
basic starter camera, but I don't think it is only capable of producing mediocre
pictures. The OM10 may well fit into the student (or at least budget) category
too.

All SLRs are capable of top quality results in the right hands. A good
photographer
can make good photographs with a p&s or a Box Brownie. It appears the pathetic
myth
of requiring a $1000 camera to make good photographs still lives. It's b*ll*cks.
The difference between a "student" SLR and the likes of an OM4Ti is very small.
If
someone can't make good pictures with a basic camera then they're wasting money
on
an expensive one IMHO.

Simon E.