Re: [OM] Quality issues on the 600mm tele?

Subject: Re: [OM] Quality issues on the 600mm tele?
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 04:34:21 -0800
Hi P.J.:

<< I wonder how the 600mm compares to the auto-focus super-teles from
C*n*n or N*k*n? My 300mm/4.5 just isn't getting me close enough.  Maybe
I need to be closer! This is a somewhat rhetorical question, but what
are my options or is the 350/2.8 with a 1.4x converter the
only option. >>

I can be slow with my e-mail sometimes, like I was with a follow-up

No one is racing to my door with a fast Nikkor AIS or Canon FD super
speed tele to test, so I have no lens to make a comparison with. I won't
compare to any Canon EF lens since the EOS System isn't optimized for
manual focusing and it would be comparing apples to oranges. The SQF
data in Popular Photography says enough: every camera manufacturer's
premium and pricey tele is an outstanding performer in comparison to
pre-ED designs.

About a week ago we discussed this issue. You can go Novoflex with
faster Telyt heads, or use another camera system.

Just a reminder to folks that quoting to message boards and mailing
lists from private e-mail is generally considered not good netiquette if
you don't have prior permission.  No harm done here, but as a former
message board SysOp, its a good time to raise the issue.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV