[OM] Digital Olympus accessories/flash - anyone knows anything?

Subject: [OM] Digital Olympus accessories/flash - anyone knows anything?
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 12:50:28 +0000 (UTC)
Hello All,

As some may know, the other half is the happy owner of a Camedia
3030z. While a good little camera, it has its shortcommings, one of which
being (as with all small cameras) that the build-in flash is often just
not enough.

Fortunetely, though, we have other flashes laying around, specifically a
number of T32's, all in working condition. The quest now: to attach one of
those to the 3030z.

I see a number of options, which are all less-than-desireable. Those
include buying a "bracket" (bounce-grip thingy) for about USD130, and a
cable (which is about USD90 these days) to connect the camedia camera to
any pc-sync flash. Letting go of the TTL-possibilities that way, it would
still be an usefull setup. Price: USD220.

Another option is to buy the FL40 flash - around here it sells for 4500FF,
or 650USD, I think. I still need to pay USD90 for a cable and still need
the (proprietary) bracket from Olympus. I would get TTL,
though. Price: USD870.

Now, I am wondering...are there any cheaper way of connecting a T32 to the
camera? Any third-party suppliers of cables? (I guess I could then find a
cheaper bounce-grip, if necessary).

Now, the rant: WHY oh WHY had Olympus chosen to make their digital system
so incompatible with the stuff we know so well? Are there ANY technical
reasons why they couldn't have made their new digital camreas compatible
with the F280 or T32 - it would, at least, make it that much more tempting
for us "old customers" to include digital?

And WHY oh WHY does a simple cable (which btw. has a plug like the one in
the OM ttl-system..only a tad smaller so existing cables are not
useable) have to cost USD90 here?

It appears to me, that Olympus are currently doing two things: turning
their back on those of us, who has invested in OM-gear - despite there
being no technically sound reason to do so. The reason may instead be to
make people pay again for something they essentially have. On the
short-term this may yield something, but long-term it doesn't inspire
customer loyality. I mean: didn't they learn something from the success of
the Olympus SYSTEM cameras? And secondly, they're making new customers pay
an arm and a leg for the Olympus-brand......which, btw., is fading even in
the digital world.

It's disappointing. I love my Olympus-gear, but it seems that Olympus -
the company - just doesn't get it right these days.

Or am I completely nuts? Probably....

Anyways, hints for connecting a T32 to a Camedia are appreciated...

--
Mange hilsner / Sincerely

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)