Re: [OM] Quality issues on the 600mm tele?

Subject: Re: [OM] Quality issues on the 600mm tele?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 12:35:20 +0000
At 05:51 2/7/01, p.j. wrote:
Excellent photos and website John! (not much on the music, though)

...but what about wildlife
f/9 is pretty doggon slow and I don't think any bird will wait for aperture
prefire
then again, I don't think I can get a bird to sit still long enough if I had
an f/2.8 either!
...except for maybe a stuffed Pasenger Pigeon
--p.j.

You can see I don't do much (any ??) wildlife and wouldn't recommend a 300/4.5 with 2X-A for it . . . not enough DOF control. I've only used the combination a few times when it was clear the 300/4.5 alone wasn't long enough; the subjects weren't moving much either. I freely admit the combo has strong limitations. As I recall I stopped the 300/4.5 down to f/5.6 (eff. f/11) to keep it from being completely wide open. Wasn't expecting anything great out of it, so what I did get was more than anticipated.

Did the moon shots because the sky was very clear, the opportunity was there, and had never done it before. I have a couple more Kodachromes shot last November (not posted on my site) of some relatives climbing a distant hill. I was surprised at how well they turned out considering I added the 2X-A in a real hurry. It was during this series I noticed that moving the cable release around caused noticeable jarring of the image in the viewfinder, and put it on the self-timer for prefire.

If I were shooting 600mm very often better tripod bracing with special super telephoto support would be required. A gearhead would allow precision framing at that length too; a normal panhead can be difficult to position accurately. Sometimes I've yearned for the 400mm, but then it wouldn't be used enough to justify the cost (maybe a 1.4X-A on the 300mm would be a better cost/benefit for the usage).

Anyway, thanks.
-- John