Re: [OM] Digital Olympus accessories/flash - anyone knows anything?

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Olympus accessories/flash - anyone knows anything?
From: Andy Beals <bandy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 11:26:42 -0800
On Wed, 07 Feb 2001 11:55:30 -0500, "John Hermanson" <omtech@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Has anyone gotten nice results with an external flash on a digital camera
> with a PC socket?

Sure.  You just use the instant-feedback feature your digi gives you and look
at the images after you take them, adjusting the flash for aim, bounce and
power until you get it right.  After a while, you can get a feel for it.

I happen to have a series of photos taken with a D620L and a vivitar flash
[285?] right here:

http://www.cinnamon.com/~bandy/dulcimer/my_dulcimer_pictures/0003/

However, I greatly prefer my C2500L with the FL40 flash and its ttl metering
as well as auto zoom/wide adjustment.

> It's like "Buy a digital, and don't even think about  ANYTHING you already
> have as being compatible."

The price of that is $5k for the camera body, and it's a N*k*n.

You can't use any of the film you have in the freezer.  Your alkaline and NiCd
batteries are not worth even trying with the camera or flash.  Everything you
learned in the darkroom is just a metaphor for photoshop -- no more getting
high off of the various chemicals in the darkroom.  Nothing really is
compatible!

Ok, a few things are: Tripod still works.  The basics of framing are still
there.  Pushing the button at the right time still applies.  Exposure still
counts, sorta.  Filters still count for something.

=======

> Looks like they want you to replace everything.

Technology moves forward at a very rapid pace.  The 8M smartmedia cards that
came with my 620 are near-useless now and barely worth carrying around.  I slap
a 32M card into it when my wife or daughter are going to use it and they can
shoot all day without a care.  My year-old Palm Vx is showing its technological
age with all I try to do with it [crashed again sometime between last night and
this a.m.] and will likely be replaced with its successor which should come out
sometime this spring,  I hope.  My three-year-old Thinkpad is a frelling
dinosaur, loping along at 266MHz and I feel awfully cramped by an 8G hard drive
and 128M of system ram, but it does run Windoze 98 and has worked with every
peripheral and every program I've slapped on it so far.

So, one can admit "Hey, I'm doing it for a lark because it's cool" and shoot
film and suffocate in the dark trying to get one or two prints to look
decent...  I have a Speed Graphic with gorgeous red bellows for that, and just
trust the lab w/r/t the prints.  And since Kodak killed my favorite print film
last year, I have yet to run a roll through it.

When I want memories, it's time for the digital, allowing me shoot and get back
into the group, then to fiddle with the images on my lapdog computer later at
any time and in any place.

        Andy Beals, Silicon Valley Guy
        San Jose, California, United States of America