[OM] Color in BW files (was "a new web page!")

Subject: [OM] Color in BW files (was "a new web page!")
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 22:17:19 -0600
----- Original Message ----- from: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Obviously the Photo CD scans are color digital files.  Most imaging
> software allows you convert color files to pure B/W grayscale.  This will
> remove the color cast from the scan and make the image file smaller for
the
> same pixel resolution.  I do this with Photo CD scans of my Agfa Scala
200X
> transparencies to ensure they are pure B/W.  The color cast is similar to
> what you can end up with if printing B/W negatives on color paper.  I
> didn't find the color cast to be objectionable.

If the photo is to be printed on an inkjet printer, converting to grayscale
could force the printer to print only with the black cartridge.  If one
desires to print BW with both the color and black cartridge (I prefer this
as generating a more subtle grayscale in the print), you can leave the file
in RGB mode and simply select "desaturate" to remove any color bias.

Joel W.