Re: [OM] (Fwd) Light Foam

Subject: Re: [OM] (Fwd) Light Foam
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 17:21:58 +1100
>Yo,
>
>on Wed, 7 Feb 2001 23:08:15 +0000, Winsor Crosby wrote:
>

>>Does anyone know why uns*table urethane foam is used to seal the light out
>>of cameras?  Seems to me that some sort of thin, black velour would be just
>>as effective and a lot more permanent.  Didn't they use something like that
>>in pre-plastic days?

Same stuff that is used in the light traps in film cassettes. Some cameras
used this, others like Leica relied on well designed mechanical light
traps. I even found a length of black velvet used in an old bellows camera.
It wore out - the fabric got squashed flat, the glue failed and it even
went brittle and crumbled with age sometimes.
Andrew