Re: [OM] Digital Olympus accessories/flash - anyone knowsanything?

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Olympus accessories/flash - anyone knowsanything?
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 08:58:14 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, John A. Lind wrote:

> At 02:57 2/8/01, C.H. Ling wrote (in part):
> >Our T32's auto mode is not so accurate for slide and TTL does not work for
> >some instant as you all know how it behave with a background that is far
> >from the object, it will over exposed. The exposure accuracy requirement on
> >DC
> >is not less than slide so you need a very accurate flash system. I
> >usually use flash meter when I use external flash with my C2000 and
> >now with the E10 I can check the histogram on the camera after taking
> >the shot.

Observation: taking a "good" shot with a digital camera usually takes much
much longer than with a regular film-camera. I've noticed that, when
taking pictures digitally, lots of time is spent on compensating for
lightning (push-buttons are inconvenient for this), viewing the picture on
the screen (which includes waiting for the image to be written onto the
digital medium, waiting for the image to be retrieved) and evaluating the
picture. Often, this is repeated 2-3 times for each subject. In a way, it
seems that a filmless camera encourages the "we can always take the
picture again if we do not like it"-attitude. Less care when taking the
picture fosters the need to evaluate the shot before moving on - away from
the subject.

I also recognize, that when I take medium-format, the percentage of wasted
frames is smaller - much smaller - than when I take 35mm. I guess the
reason is, that medium format is both more troublesome to set up (go
ahead, I dare you: use a long lens on a Mamiya 645 body with shaft
viewfinder...a tripod *is* needed), the films are more expensive and the
processing a little more difficult too (if you do it yourself - or more
expensive if you have a lab do it).

I guess that my point is something like this: the easier (including price)
it is to take pictures, the less "care" is put into each picture. And thus
the quality degrades (in general. Of course, it is very possible to get a
good shot with a digital camera - through conciously applying the
care. My point is that digital cameras intuitively inspires less care).

In general, I dunno. This is just my own observations from myself and
people around me. Anyone else who shares this experience?

> This is not my experience.  If anything, the T-32 (and T-20) have been much
> more accurate for Kodachrome 64, Elitechrome 100, E100S and EPN, than other
> flash units I've used, both in Normal Auto and TTL Auto.

I haven't used that many flash-units ;) But I have been satisfied with the
results - also for Kodachromes - where I have been using the
T32.

> It can be fooled
> by very unusual lighting situations,

Well, the meter in any camera can be fooled one way or another. For that
matter, so can the human perception ;) However I find the OM system to be
less easy to fool than other systems I've tried ;)

--
Mange hilsner / Sincerely

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)