Re: [OM] T 32 Flash Settings

Subject: Re: [OM] T 32 Flash Settings
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 08:02:02 -0600
----- Original Message ----- from: "Clemente Colayco"
<litefoot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Can you give me a brief advise on how I can use a T32 to do proper fill in
> that gives natural skin tone colors instead of the usual very light or
> sometimes too white a skin color. I notice this happen as you say when the
> background is far behind the subject and or quite near (less than two
> meters..

I'm not Mr. Ling, but perhaps you won't mind an additional opinion.  If your
subjects are close to a wall of a room, and the wall is not too dark or
light, your exposure will probably be balanced OK with flash.  In situations
where most of the room is open behind the subjects however, the camera/flash
will try to open up the shadows behind the subject and wash out the subject
with too much light.  The only sure thing to do is shoot in manual mode.
Just use the little calculator table and do it.  If you must use TTL mode
under these circumstances, I've found that adjusting the exposure
compensation nob -2/3 stop gives fairly predictable results.  If using auto
mode, just stop down a half stop or so from the stop indicated for your auto
setting.

Even in TTL mode it is useful to be aware of the manual calculations.  You
can try using a stop that is close to the proper stop for manual flash.  You
have to have faith when you do this, because your camera will indicate that
you didn't have sufficient light for the shot, but when you get the slides
back, the exposure will be perfect.

One other thing to consider:  if there is any ambient light in the rear of
the room, it can certainly help you out.  Take a reading at a window that
will be in or near your background and try to use a stop that is equal to or
a little under what is indicated and you won't have to worry as much about
the flash overpowering your subjects.  Oftentimes with 100 ASA film this is
around f5.6 or f7 -- good stops for flash portraiture anyway.

Joel W.