Re: [OM] Quality issues on the 600mm tele?

Subject: Re: [OM] Quality issues on the 600mm tele?
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 09:23:51 -0800
John L. writes re: telephoto lens support:

<< One method is the type of special super-telephoto brace made by Bogen
(Manfrotto) that hooks onto one of the tripod legs.  I believe Gary
Reese uses one of these, or something similar, for the longer lens
tests.  Bogen's number is "3252" in the U.S. and Manfrotto's is "359"
used
elsewhere. >>

No, for moderate telephoto lenses, I used their "cradle." It has a
V-slotted arm which the lens rests in, which a velcro strap to hold it
in the slot. The arm is hinge connected to a camera tripod mount. The
whole unit has its own tripod mount somewhat centered on the cradle.

For the real long lenses, I used two tripods, in any manner of
configurations which would improve lens stability. It makes precise
composing so difficult that I can see why high definition super
telephotography is a pursuit for a true masochist.  I would seriously
suggest that anyone interested in 600mm plus telephotos try out a
borrowed or rental lens before plunging into the expense. It can take
the joy out of photography, esp. when you get back the results.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV