Re: [OM] Quality issues on the 600mm tele?

Subject: Re: [OM] Quality issues on the 600mm tele?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 23:27:56 +0000
At 17:23 2/8/01, Gary Reese wrote:
For the real long lenses, I used two tripods, in any manner of
configurations which would improve lens stability. It makes precise
composing so difficult that I can see why high definition super
telephotography is a pursuit for a true masochist.  I would seriously
suggest that anyone interested in 600mm plus telephotos try out a
borrowed or rental lens before plunging into the expense. It can take
the joy out of photography, esp. when you get back the results.

At one time I yearned for the 400mm Zuiko. After shooting 600mm with the 300mm + 2X-A, I was left wondering if difficulties with precision composition and vibration elimination would make it worth while (i.e., enjoyable). You stated it a little more graphically. Even with all I'm willing to lug around to use MF at times, it is still less work than setting up and shooting at 600mm.

-- John