Re: [OM] Attainable Quality Results on Super Tele Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Attainable Quality Results on Super Tele Lenses
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 20:50:42 +0800
That is the different between good quality lens and poor one, some years ago
I bought a used Sigma 600 that has peel off of reflective coating on the
mirror near the edge. At first I don't know it is a coating peel off, I try
to clean it by disassembly the lens. Do you know how the front focusing
group is fixed with the focusing ring?.... they use tape... yes tape, there
is also a light guide (or shield, I don't know how to call it) at the center
of the mirror. How it was fixed? I think they have used silicone sealant, I
slightly pushed it and it came off!  Finally I put everything back, pay with
it for a few weeks and then sold the lens to another shop.

Few years later I saw from the net that people complaining the big Sigma
lenses, I remember one of it was 500/4.5 the AF version, they said the front
group was fixed with tape and the tape loosed, when the lens focus the front
group dropped to the ground!

C.H.Ling