Re: [OM] [OT] Re: "Basic MBA material" (Was: discussion of Oly digital i

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Re: "Basic MBA material" (Was: discussion of Oly digital incomp...
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 07:56:28 EST
lind@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Are there a sufficient number of OM system owners interested in digital to
satisfy a business case for it?  Some list members might be, and may even be
 passionately interested.  That doesn't matter; it's the numbers (how many)
 that count and _don't_ underestimate how high that number might be. >>

(Not directed to you, John. You just got me thinking)...
While I'm quite surprised from time to time to see how many people there are
around the world "dedicated" to Olympus SLR, I seriously doubt the numbers
are that large when you take a step back from this list and look at the photo
users of the world. Face it, we're not that typical here.

If one can believe the text that goes with eBay ads, many of them start out-
"This OM-1 was found in my late father's camera bag."... "This OM-10 was my
first SLR"... I'd bet my next month's paycheck that those sellers don't use
Olympus gear today. There may be seemingly a lot of OMs traded on eBay, or
pawned at pawn shops, but except for me and Tom Scales and a few others here,
<g> I don't think there are that many OM sellers that are OM USERS.

My feeling is Olympus looks at their SLR line as a dead end that they passed
many miles ago on the photography road. Why should they make digital lenses
or a flash cord for that matter compatable with the OMs? I'm not even certain
that the OM2000 was a genuine attempt to reward OM users with a new body. I
feel it was jjust an attempt to "jump on the bandwagon" since Cosina was
making one with Nikon's name on it. Face it, it's just not up to the OM
line's satandards. OTOH, if I'm correct  in assuming that Olympus thinks of
SLRs as a dead end, why did they even bother issuing the OM2000? Perhaps, we
should all hope for the success of the new Nikon FM3A. If it is successful,
maybe Olympus will give us a new OM-6
(updated OM-2?)

Regards,
George S.