Re: [OM] getting [OT] - anyone knowsanything?

Subject: Re: [OM] getting [OT] - anyone knowsanything?
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 08:24:02 EST
wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Hmmm, 389.95$ for a new OM-1 in 1973, which is 1500$ now, give or take.
Are we really making progress?? I mean, there were many OM-1's sold to
amatuer
 photographers back then. How many amatuers buy brand new OM-4t's??? Not this
 one unfortunately. Why are we loosing ground financially?? >>

I don't think we are losing ground financially if you look at what people
earn. U.S. minimum wage in 1973 was $1.80/hr I believe. I think it's very
close to $7.00 now, about the same, if not a bit more in comparison. In my
line of work, a rookie cop would earn 4to  4 1/2  times the salary they would
earn in 1973, also on par with the above OM comparison. But the OM-4T is a
much more featured camera than the OM-1, and may not be the best comparison,
Just as we shouldn't compare the 1973 OM-1 to the 1999 OM-2000. If we did
that just on the basis of price, we should all feel very lucky!

George S.