Re: [OM] [OT] Re: "Basic MBA material" (Was: discussion of Oly digital i

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Re: "Basic MBA material" (Was: discussion of Oly digital incomp...
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 22:42:53 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: <ClassicVW@xxxxxxx>

> (Not directed to you, John. You just got me thinking)...
> While I'm quite surprised from time to time to see how many people there
are
> around the world "dedicated" to Olympus SLR, I seriously doubt the numbers
> are that large when you take a step back from this list and look at the
photo
> users of the world. Face it, we're not that typical here.

When Olympus lost at the AF competiton at late 80', they ran the right track
to concentrate on P&S and ZLR. Now they continue this with the digital P&S
and ZLR. If olympus really make a digital body with similar price and
performance as Canon D30 and Fuji S1 pro, will it attract lots of users? I
don't think so! Nikon and Canon fans will not buy it for simple reason. Not
only that, most die hard OM fans will not spend 3K for a OM digital body,
they don't like to chase the new technology otherwise they already left OM
for the other AF system. We are still using manual camera that sync only at
1/60s and 1/2000s max shutter speed. What we need is  ultimate quality not
fuzz digital image. But Olympus cannot wait until there is a 16Mp image
sensor that can satisfy our need, they need to come up something for the
digital market otherwise they will lost again like the AF competition.

With P&S it is completely different, people no need to concern on whether
their own system lenses or flashes can be use or not. For the E-10, I know
there are many non OM users that bought it, it is a complete system by
itself and its price is still a lot below the D30 and S1, with a decent F2
zoom lens, it is very attractive. I wish Olympus can stay strong on the
digital market. I'm well prepared for few years later Olympus come up with a
ZLR digital that have a 24-135 F2 zoom lens and 6Mp.

C.H.Ling