Re: [OM] [OT] Re: "Basic MBA material" (Was: discussion of Oly digital i

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Re: "Basic MBA material" (Was: discussion of Oly digital incomp...
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 10:52:51 EST
C.H.-
I certainly agree with your comments. Olympus apparently did see a field
where they could be profitable enough for their needs- P&S and ZLR.

(We probably covered a discussion of this in past years here, but I still
can't understand why they let their AF SLR line die so soon after its birth?
You'd think that with their combination of lightweight camera-building
experience,spot metering and super FP flash technologies, they would have
been well-poised for that market?!)

I also think they have established themselves as an extremely well respected
digital provider.I have gotten more than a few comments from people when I'm
seem using my OM gear along the lines of- "Oh, I didn't know Olympus made SLR
'film' cameras. They make very good digital cameras." So, 'maybe' some Nikon
and Canon SLR users would be agreeable to an Olympus high end digital given
the respect it seems Olympus is getting from the digital P&S crowd.

chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< When Olympus lost at the AF competiton at late 80', they ran the right
track
 to concentrate on P&S and ZLR. Now they continue this with the digital P&S
 and ZLR. If olympus really make a digital body with similar price and
 performance as Canon D30 and Fuji S1 pro, will it attract lots of users? I
 don't think so! Nikon and Canon fans will not buy it for simple reason. >>