Re: [OM] A Flatbed Question

Subject: Re: [OM] A Flatbed Question
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 10:42:08 EST
In a message dated 2/10/01 6:51:26 AM Pacific Standard Time, DaEyeGuy@xxxxxxx
writes:

> Today I saw a much newer model from Umax advertised with the same specs as
>  mine except it is a 42-bit 600x1200 for only $79. Can any of you tell me
> what
>  is the diff between a 24-bit and a 42-bit model? How does the bittage
(like
>  that?? LOL) affect the scanned image??
>
>  Thank you if you can uncloud this dim, Saturday-morning brain.
>
>  Susan Steele

The 42 bit might be just advert hype or it might represent something real.
Few programs can handle a 42 bit file internally (PS can handle 36 bit I
think). Most scanners that advertise 42 bit are really 24 bit because they
take the 42 bit data and output it at 8X3 = 24. If it is a good scanner, the
42 bit figure will represent a true dynamic range of the CCD. But usually it
is just the electronics inside that is capable of 42 bits and not the CCD or
the program which it outputs to.

Warren