Re: [OM] Focusing a 28mm f/2.8 lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Focusing a 28mm f/2.8 lens
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 15:32:10 -0800
Hey all,

I'm new to the group so I'll introduce myself briefly.  I'm an advanced
amateur living in a suburb of Cincinnati, Ohio (actually across the river in
Northern Kentucky) USA.  My first 35 was a Miranda Sensorex (which sported a
shutter release on the front of the right side- not on top.  It sounds
strange but it was quite natural to squeeze the body, releasing the
shutter.)

From there, I bought an early OM-1 (before they were MD capable).  The meter
died so I bought an OM-2, used.  My favorite body though is the OM-PC
because it has LEDs in the finder which is indispensable for taking concert
pictures.  A sample photo is at
http://www.jonimitchell.com/BSNTourReports/PineKnobBSNTourReport.html
Since none of my bodies has a spot meter capability, I set the PC to
underexpose by 2/3 stop.  This keeps the subject from being a blocked up
highlight.

  I now have these Zuiko lenses:
28mm f/2.8
50mm f/1.8
50mm f/3.5 Macro
100mm f/2.8
200mm f/4

In addition I have a Sigma 400mm.  I have found the 100 to be noticeably
sharper than the rest.  The 50 normal and macro are acceptably sharp.  I
must admit though, that I've never produced a razor sharp image at any
aperture with the 28 or 200.

I asked John if he thinks that the 28 might have a repairable problem
(there's no rattle, no sign of damage, I've never dropped it) but he
suggested that it's inherently harder to focus wides especially when it's
not a speed demon like the f/2.8.  The last time I used the 28, I was in
full sunlight and chose an aperture near f/8 for maximum sharpness.  My
subject was sitting in a chair, so I had ample time to focus carefully.  I
noticed that it never "snapped" into focus.  I could turn the focusing ring
through a 2 or 3 mm arc, without the focusing screen getting any better or
worse.  I ended up centering the ring in the middle of the range of
uncertainty but the resulting 4" x 6" glossy print was just not sharp enough
to warrant an enlargement to 8x12.  I've looked at test results of this lens
on various sites and there's a variation among results.  I was considering
upgrading to the f/2 model of this focal length but apparently, the extra
money goes into a close-focusing refinement- and I don't use a 28mm at close
distance.  Anyway, do I have a poor example of this lens?  I have no trouble
focusing the 100 f/2.8 in full sunlight.  (I am 45 though, so my focusing
ability may be waning.)

Would it help to "bracket" the focus or is it just a mediocre lens?

Jim Lamadoo

Perhaps the problem is with your processor/printer. Why don't you look at the negatives with a strong magnifier. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Focus of a wide angle with any slr is always a little dicey since the baseline of the focussing screen is reduced by magnification of the lens, but there should be more than enough depth of field to make up for small inaccuracies.

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA