Re: [OM] pinhole body cap

Subject: Re: [OM] pinhole body cap
From: "John Duggan" <john.duggan1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 20:12:51 -0000
       Dear all,
                    Regarding pinhole photography, I have found 2 methods that
work well with pupils in school.
    Method 1.....Grind the end off a small sewing needle using an oilstone.
Place an aluminium strip, pie-dish? on a hardwood block, place needle on strip
and tap with a small hammer. The aim is to punch out a small disc of aluminium
rather than to pierce a hole with a point. Attach to backing and spray with
matt black paint. With care, and using thin material good results can be
obtained. Use safety glasses!!! Needles are highly tempered and can snap.
    Method 2......Using a cylindrical tin punch a dimple from the inside using
an engineers punch. The aim is NOT to pierce the can but to raise a dimple
which can then be stoned down using an oilstone. A very good result is possible
using this method.
   I have had good results using this method on a can about 6"/150mm diam and
8"/200mm deep. Taping photographic paper to inside of can (after painting
inside matt black) Very thin aeromodellers ply running in two guides epoxied?
to the face of the can form the shutter with a1/4"b.s.w. nut glued to the ply
base to enable tripod mounting.
      Exposure times about 3mins in strong sunlight!!!!!!!
    This gives you a paper neg which you then contact print.
   Amazing distortions are possible. Wonderfull barrel distortion.Telephoto
effect at centre of picture turning to wide angle at edges. To get a good idea
of framing a viewfinder can be constructed from 2 wooden rulers pivoted at one
end. Solarisation effects can also be tried.
    OLYMPUS content...Much longer exposure times are possible and the camera is
not battery dependant. However it is not much good for action shots!!!!!
                              Regards, John Duggan, Wettttt Wales U.K.