Re: [OM] Hot Shoe Level (was 120 teaches 35mm)

Subject: Re: [OM] Hot Shoe Level (was 120 teaches 35mm)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 22:43:45 +0000
At 02:36 2/12/01, Wayne Harridge wrote:
I have one of those levels that slips into the accessory shoe, and I know that it is not accurate on my OM-1 & OM-10, and I haven't tried it on any other bodies. My advice would be to try one of these levels and see if it works for you (e.g. take a few test shots of tall rectangular buildings with a wide angle lens after levelling the camera).

Somehow I'm not that surprised about the OM-1, nor would I be with the OM-2[n] since they have the screw-on hot shoe. Slight variation in the shoe, it's condition and the condition of the prism housing could easily throw it off a little. I was thinking more along the lines of the OM-2S and upward with the fixed shoes. Even so, you are right that it may not be perfectly level. In my experience, unless there are strong lines very close to frame edges, a very slight amount of error won't be detectable. The closer to the edges, the more detectable it becomes. I have done a couple with the 35/2.8 Shift hand held that did have lines at the edges and was glad I took several shots at it (while wishing I'd had the tripod with me). I've also been known to correct for very minor error when mounting the print in a matted frame . . . but that can only fix "roll" left or right, not "pitch" up or down.

Some technical cameras have these things built into them. Alas, it's yet another feature to be wished for in the mythical OM-5/6, along with a line on the top body cap showing film plane location.

-- John