[OM] Multiple Strobe Setup

Subject: [OM] Multiple Strobe Setup
From: Kelton Rhoads <krho@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 20:14:46 -0800
John Hudson asked:

>My query is whether the camera aperture is set at f8 [the output of each
>strobe] or whether it is set at f16 which is the accumulated light
>output to the extent that the light from each strobe will overlap the
>light from each of the other two. Intuitively I think it should be f16
>but I have had seemingly knowledgeable opinion saying that it should be
>f8.

I think you want to fire all the strobes you plan to use simultaneously
and let your flash meter figure it out. Put the flash meter (with
diffuser dome in place) directly in front of your subject and aim it
toward the camera, trigger all your strobes, and just read off the
exposure information. By the way, that's a lotta soft boxes you're using.
I've seen some people make wonderful tents by simply hanging white sheets
down from the sides of a softbox, with the softbox not entirely parallel
to the floor but tilted somewhat so some light comes in from the front of
the object, as well as from the top. Lotsa soft boxes have velcro on the
outside for the very purpose of hanging black or white cloth. Sounds like
a fun project; let us know how it turns out.