Re: [OM] Here you have, ;o) (also contains OM content!)

Subject: Re: [OM] Here you have, ;o) (also contains OM content!)
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 13 Feb 2001 10:35:06 +1000
Nick Taylor <ntaylor@xxxxxxxxx> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake
thusly:

> >                              Name: AnnaKournikova.jpg.vbs
> >    AnnaKournikova.jpg.vbs    Type: MPEG Video (video/mpeg)

Hmmn, this worm obviously mutates the MIME type it uses.

The first copy I got was marked as app/oct.

Have you looked at the source?  It's a self-unpacking "encrypted"
message with an obfuscated unpacker.  I bet it varies the scrabling
parameters to avoid detection, too.  These things are getting worse at
an alarming rate.

Anyway, the real problem here is that if the message says its an "MPEG Video",
THEN WHY THE HELL IS OUTLOOK RUNNING IT AS A BASIC SCRIPT?

(I'm not mad at you, I'm mad at BillCo!)

I write software for a living.   I could swallow a handful of used
chads and PUKE a better mailer than that barfulous monstrosity.

      [FX: Two WHITE COATED ORDERLIES enter and drag CHRISTOPHER off
           STAGE-LEFT; he is foaming at the mouth and screaming
           incoherently ]

(sorry, I'll stop ranting on the list now)

--cjb

ObPhoto: Anyone ever messed with dry ice for smoke/mist effect in
          still-life?  What's a good way to direct the fumes?  I'm
          thinking of a surplus CPU fan (or similar) mounted inside a
          tube.

--
 Christopher J Biggs \ chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx \ Vice-Pope Torture & Indulgences
 Stallion Technologies\ Brisbane,  Australia \   Holy Church of Givashitology