Re: [OM] Olympus Parts Supply

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Parts Supply
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 21:27:19 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, John Prosper wrote:

> Well, your initial outlay cost for the broken gear should ease the burden of
> paying for the extra elements.  I know if I could get some primetime optics
> in less than primetime shape at the right price and replacement parts are
> available, I'd go for it in a heartbeat. ;-)

At the moment my worry isn't with the 35-80mm, it's the parts for the
35/shift that worry me.  I just asked about the 35-80mm elements while I
had them on the phone (for obvious reasons :-).  I just want everyone to
realise that just because Olympus is selling a particular lens, it doesn't
mean that parts are available for service.  Be careful buying high priced
glass which is in need of service, you may end up with an expensive doorstop.

Here's a quick update on the 35-80mm saga.  This morning I spoke with the
dealer who sold the lens, and we happily completed our transaction.  They
were very friendly, never once questioning the sale price.  The "minor
markings" on the lens are actually cleaning marks, so the lens is probably
fine as-is.  The lens is now in the hands of FedEx, sent with 2'nd day
delivery, which means it'll arrive here in Canada in about 4 days :-)
                                        -mark