[OM] PC cord *POPS* off of OM-2

Subject: [OM] PC cord *POPS* off of OM-2
From: "Jim L'Hommedieu" <jlamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 02:32:47 -0500
Does anyone have a fix for this amazing shortcoming?  I used a PC coiled
cord for the first time last year on my OM-2.  I held the T20 over my head
like a wedding pro but the rig failed and failed and failed.  The cord kept
springing off the PC socket.  Boing!  I thought of securing the PC cord with
an ugly water hose clamp but the angle of the prism would make it slide
right off.  Frankly, I'm stumped.

I tried using a PC cord adapter on the removable hot shoe but the removable
hot shoe apparently thinks of itself as a part-time accessory.  Who could
trust that tiny screw to hold tight?  How tight is tight?  It never seems
tight yet I'm afraid to strip the threads on the wimpy little thing.  Plus,
it works itself loose in the bag.

I think that the camera is no longer hand-holdable if you use a PC cord.  It
looks to me like the procedure to use a high mounted flash is:

1.  Mount the OM-2 on a tripod.
2.  Put the T20 or T32 or whatever on a heavy, sturdy 7 foot tall tripod
with a head on it, pointed down.  (What do the pros use?  How much does a 7
foot tall tripod *cost*?)
3.  Focus.
4.  Hold the PC cord in its socket, with one hand while releasing the
shutter with the other!  Sheesh!

I didn't get one frame trying it by hand.  Does a high mounted flash produce
a nice result?  I mean, is there a point in bothering?  Should I just use
tall but flimsy stand & a slave instead?

Suggestions?

I think I'll try a shoe-to-PC cord adapter on the OM-PC.

Lama