Re: [OM] Here you have, ;o)

Subject: Re: [OM] Here you have, ;o)
From: Nick Taylor <ntaylor@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 07:28:31 -0800
Hans van Veluwen wrote:

> : JPG, GIF, and TXT can NOT contain a virus!  Guaranteed!  But many virii
> : pretend to be jpg, gif, or txt files ... just as the Anna virus did.
> : They will have a "safe" three letter combination near the end of the
> : file name ... hoping to lure you into carelessness ... but it is the
> : final three letters that are important.  The VBS final three in Anna
> : tell us that it is a visual basic program ... and capable of doing
> : terrible damage to your computer ... like erasing all of you data
> : files on your hard drive and sending itself to your friends.
>
> One correction - the virus that was sent to the list was not the so called
> Anna
> Virus, which is older and indeed infects .com files including command.com.
>
> 'Our' virus is a worm named "VBS.SST @mm" or VBS.Lee-o or VBS.OnTheFly.
>
> >From Symantec:
>
> "a VBS email worm that has been encoded using a virus creation kit. The worm
> arrives as an attachment named AnnaKournikova.jpg.vbs When executed, the worm
> emails itself to everyone in your Microsoft Outlook book. On January 26, the
> worm will attempt to direct your Web browser to an Internet address located in
> The Netherlands. This worm appears to have originated in the Netherlands."
>
> hnz

It really seems that some internet users have more than a healthy
interest in virii!  Many years ago in some long forgotten college
course I was told that a significant number of homophobes were
actually latent homosexuals.  Please note that this speculation
is in no way directed at any OM list members (even those located
in the Netherlands).

In all these long years my OM-1n has never used protection nor
practiced safe photography, and it has never become infected with
any virus!

;-)

  -Nick