Re: [OM] [OT][rant] A query to MS Outlook users: why do you put up with

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT][rant] A query to MS Outlook users: why do you put up with it?
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 01:00:25 +0100
On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 10:03:49AM +1000, Christopher Biggs wrote:

> All these "email viruses".    Don't you see that they're all due to
> absurdly insecure behaviuor on the part of Microsoft's Outlook?
>
> Why isn't anyone blaming the author of the software which lets this
> crap get propagated?

Yes, this is THE question. Well I think it is because most people still
beleve that MS is standard. Just have a look at this nice Kasparov
story, altough it is not  'new':

Soren Laursen

Press release: Kasparov beaten by Windows 95 :

Sat, 10 May 1997 23:00:52 -0400 Anaren Microwave

In the ongoing battle between the worlds biggest chess champion and theIBM
computer "Big Blue" Big Blue has won a round thanks to softwarefrom Microsoft
Corp.

The general opinion between commentors was that Big Blue was on the retreat
while playing yesterday against Garry Kasparov. However, as the grand master
took a little break to go to the restroom technicians quickly moved in and
began installing Windows 95 on Big Blue.

As he returned from the restroom Garry Kasparov found that Big Blue with its
new software had completely changed the rules of the game. Complaining that he
did not want to play this way the grand master was told that this was standard
and everybody else did it. Resigning, the grand master asked if he could have
his queen, which had been hidden inBig Blue's new registry database. The answer
was that this was notpossible but it would probably be available in the next
game.

After that the game went on and Big Blue won. This was surprising considering
the fact that Big Blue could now only run on one processor. However, the new
rules worked well for Big Blue, which was able to move its queen to any
position on the board.

After the match a spokesman from Microsoft said:
                                                                "We always win."

Frieder Faig