[OM] Re: Focusing a 28mm f/2.8 lens

Subject: [OM] Re: Focusing a 28mm f/2.8 lens
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 06:58:08
Cc: jlamadoo@xxxxxxxx
Jim, first of all, outstanding essay on Joni Mitchell! A rare example of a few words being worth thousands of pictures.

Regarding your difficulties focusing the Zuiko 28/2.8 compared with other lenses, I find that's just an unfortunate side effect of using wide angles in general. For one thing the image through the viewfinder is reduced. Another problem is that the focusing throw of the typical wide angle is too short, making it ever more difficult to focus precisely beyond a few feet away since a mere 1/4" turn spans a focus range of 6 feet to infinity.

For me the best solution, in candid photography, has been to "zone focus" as you postulated and stop down to a middle aperture or smaller.

Regarding the inherent sharpness of the Zuiko 28/2.8, here are some close ups taken with one that demonstrate its potential. (For you folks who've already viewed my close ups of classic tractors, there's nothing new here.):

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1005538&a=10757160

Regards and welcome to the list,

Lex Jenkins