Re: [OM] OM2S With Sunpak Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] OM2S With Sunpak Flash
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 22:06:19 +0100
: >1). Should I set the the lens to f/16 when using program mode?
:
: Yes, probably, although there are no advantages to using TTL flash in program
: mode, and the disadvantage is that you probably won't get the DOF of the
: actual stop it is set to.

The big disadvantage of using Program Mode with flash on the 2SP is that the
aperture will always be 2 stops from maximum; in most cases this won't be the
desired aperture. Setting the camera to Auto and the lens to F8 (for a start) is
better.

: >3). Sunpak states that the shutter speed should be a 30th of a second,
: >    with all other flashes I have used I have always used a 60th,
: >    Is a 30th common?
:
: There is a very obscure statement like this in one of the Olympus manuals too.
:  1/60 is the fastest sync you can use with TTL, but slower speeds are
: possible.

This statement is in the manuals of the OM-1 and OM-2; 1/30 would be recommended
'to prevent accidental dial shift', whatever is meant by this obscure statement.
For the OM-2 it refers to manual mode only and is crap anyway since 1/60 works
fine. And it does not apply to Auto mode on the OM-2n/OM-2SP/OM-4(Ti) at all
since these cameras will always use 1/60 in Auto mode with flash.

: >4). What are the pro/cons using TTL for Flash?

The big pro is that any filter factors or macro extension factors are
automatically measured and and taken into account. The pitfall is that TTL/OTF
is calibrated for neutral grey and that very light or dark subjects or
backgrounds will confuse it and need exposure compensation (just as is the case
with available light metering). This is also true for computer (Normal Auto)
flash, but not for manual flash or flashmatic.

: >5).  Does anyone have any suggestions using TTL with a flash or
: >     know where I might get more information?

You could start by reading the Flashphoto Group Manual:
http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/veluwen/om-sif/flashphotogroup/manuals/flashphotog
roup.pdf

hnz