Re: [OM] 35-80mm f2.8 from eBay

Subject: Re: [OM] 35-80mm f2.8 from eBay
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 20:49:14 EST
 chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> How can a camera shop have no idea on the original price of camera
> equipment? Especially Olympus was one of the biggest camera
> manufacturer. Here nearly every used camera shop have a price list of
> every camera manufacturer. They know the list price of the items very
> well. In this way they set the sells price, so in most cases the price
> of used OM items is very high.

 Some camera stores don't know the true value of some brand's lenses or
bodies. They may think they should sell a similar focal length and similar
speed lens in an OM mount for a similar price- no matter whose name is on it-
Tokina,Tamron, Zuiko. Some may also think a 85 or 90mm Zuiko is valued same
as a Pentax or Canon MF, or a Hoya 85mm (just an example, don't know if there
really IS such a lens). They even may have picked up an OM with a Zuiko
35-80mm attached to it from an unknowing trader and feel the $200 they'll get
just for the lens is a great deal for them. Unfortunately, these errors are
not that common, and most store owners know what they're talking about. I
once got a great deal on a Leica CL with lens that I had asked to see because
the salesperson (at a large camera store) said "There's something wrong with
it, the meter doesn't actuate unless you bang the camera on your hand." and
then he showed me a couple of times. I bought the camera on the spot, because
he didn't know you had to move the wind lever slightly from its "rest"
position to activate the meter.

Best,
George S.