Re: [OM] 35-80mm f2.8 from eBay

Subject: Re: [OM] 35-80mm f2.8 from eBay
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 22:01:17 -0400
> Some camera stores don't know the true value of some brand's lenses or
> bodies. They may think they should sell a similar focal length and
> similar speed lens in an OM mount for a similar price- no matter whose > name
> is on it- Tokina,Tamron, Zuiko. Some may also think a 85 or 90mm
> Zuiko is valued same as a Pentax or Canon MF, or a Hoya 85mm (just an
> example, don't know if there really IS such a lens). They even may have >
> picked up an OM with a Zuiko 35-80mm attached to it from an unknowing
> trader and feel the $200 they'll get just for the lens is a great deal > for
> them. Unfortunately, these errors are not that common, and most
> store owners know what they're talking about. I once got a great deal
> on a Leica CL with lens that I had asked to see because the salesperson > (at
> a large camera store) said "There's something wrong with it, the
> meter doesn't actuate unless you bang the camera on your hand." and
> then he showed me a couple of times. I bought the camera on the spot,
> because he didn't know you had to move the wind lever slightly from its >
> "rest" position to activate the meter.

Here's a coupe other thoughts. One thought is that maybe the camera
store didn't realize that "zuiko" is the Olympus' brand of lenses and
perhaps thought it was some obscure lens manufacturer.

Another thought would be that 35-80mm is a common "kit" lens focal
length. If they hadn't noticed that it's a fixed 2.8 apeture, I could
see how they might think that it was just a cheap lens that came as part
of a kit.

Another thought is that they just weren't familiar with Olympus gear at
all and thought that a short length zoom for a "dead" manual focus
system wasn't worth very much (probably a conclusion arrived at by
pricing other systems' zoom lenses at similar lengths).

A better question is who got ripped off by the camera store? It's a safe
bett that the store got the lens at significantly less than the price
they sold it for. Ex-spouse sell-off perhaps?

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey,
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx