Re: [OM] handyman: doing a meter adjustment on OM-1n at home...

Subject: Re: [OM] handyman: doing a meter adjustment on OM-1n at home...
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 21:39:43 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, John Hermanson wrote:

> I agree and generally stopped replying to threads regarding "should I try a
> home repair?"
> Home repairs (unless the problem is completely external) are more often than
> not,  a bad idea, though some on the list here have had success.
> I've gotten cameras from people where they had gotten into the meter strings
> and decided that, "hey these strings are way too long, I'm gonna shorten
> this one and re-crazy glue it."  This particular one did not come from the
> list.
> This kind of damage is  very well hidden from the technician, and, of
> course, would never happen on it's own.   Lots of labor is wasted.

One thing I always look for when buying a used body is evidence of improper
servicing.  Usually an amateur repair will damage the trim plate of the film
advance lever cap.  It's just so tempting to use a pair of tweezers or a
small screwdriver to twist the cap off, which ends up scratching or damaging
the small holes.  Very rarely will a professional technician cause such
damage.  Another area to look at is the film rewind shaft.  It's not uncommon
to see the shaft ends bent where a screwdriver was used to hold the shaft
while unscrewing the handle.  If either of these two areas appear damaged,
think twice before buying the body, or adjust the purchase price accordingly.
                                        -mark