[OM] DF Hall of Fame

Subject: [OM] DF Hall of Fame
From: "Olaf Greve" <olaf_greve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 09:45:09 -0000
Hi,

He told me to get a Stylus Zoom instead, and shaking his head,
as if I was about to make a huge mistake, he says, "How about $300 ?"
My knees turned to Jell-o, but my g-sailor reflexes stood me in good stead and I replied how about $250 ? "It's all yours !", " I hope you'll use it more than I have". I restrained myself until I was about two blocks away, then screamed in joy. I grinned for months...:)

Great story to read, Doris!

It triggered me to repeat some of my successes, which on previous occassions I have shared with the list.

Note: at present (according to www.oanda.com) 2.4 Dutch guilder = 1 US dollar, so I've used that rate for doing the conversions where necessary (some of the items I bought were bought a few years ago when the dollar was much lower though, more like 1.6 guilder to 1 dollar, so prices have shifted a bit).

First the stuff I obtained with the help of others (all are list members):

-Tomoko spotted a $199 35/2.8 Shift (SC, but in great condition), which I was VERY glad to grab, Unfortunately, UPS, taxes etc. added a further $100 to it, but still this was a great buy. -Brian Huber found a 300/4.5 (MC) for $150 because it has two tiny specks of fungus on the inside, and cosmetically it's not in great shape. A very nice lens, even though after some failed repair on my behalf, I'll now have to add some $40 to this price for replacing an element I damaged. -Hans van Veluwen pointed me to a DFL 400,- ($167) T28 Twin Flash, including the Macro Shoe Flash Ring, which is in mint shape. -Hans van Veluwen also pointed me to a DFL 75,- ($31.25) set of 26 like new photography books which are a very nice asset.

Then, one and a half year ago I came across a big lot of used OM gear in great shape at a "Dutch MacDonalds like chain camera store" in the very centre of Amsterdam. Lo and behold, by teaming up with Hans van Veluwen and Jan de Jager (Hans did the haggling, after we determined a strategy for it), I managed to get the Zuiko 100/2 in mint- condition (there are three tiny cleaning marks on the front element, that's all), with the box and packaging material, for DFl 750,- ($312.5).

Then, there's the stuff I obtained through Jaap. The 35-80/2.8 in mint- condition was obtained by making the Wide Angle page (this one was actually earned by hard work, but still I'm glad not to have to pay the $$$ for this lens). Furthermore, Jaap has very kindly provided me with various smaller items, especially regarding flash equipment and focusing screens.

Finally, we get to the section of personal successes, this of course is the part I'm most proud of (although perhaps not as good as Doris' successes): -First, I obtained my OM-4Ti black (mint-- some minor paint scratches) with DB4, F280 + F-flash cord 0.6m for some DM 1200 ($563); perhaps not my best deal, but still not a bad price.
-Then, I found, a DFl 42,- ($17.5) T20 which is in excellent condition.
-What else, ah yes! The Zuiko 28/2 (MC) in mint- condition, apart from the front element, which will come at a +/- $35 replacement cost, for DFl 125,- ($52) -Finally, my best haul, this was a big one (unless stated differently, everything is in very nice condition (9 or so)):
-Olympus OM-2n (chrome)
-Olympus 50/3.5 Macro, in hard case, with MC mark
-Olympus 35-70/3.6, in hard case(!), with MC mark, with original hood
-Vivitar 70-150mm matched 2x TC
-Olympus Shoe 4
-Olympus TTL AutoConnector 4 (cracked)
-Olympus TTL AutoConnector T20 ;)
-Olympus TTL AutoCord T 0.6m (the one with 2 T-jacks)
-Olympus T20 cosmetically a bit less (8)
-Olympus MD1
-Olympus M.18V control grip 1
-Olympus Relay cord 1.2m
-Olympus double cable release
-Off brand single cable release (short, +/- 20 CM)
-Olympus small case S
-Olympus 1-4n FS (in camera)
-Olympus 1-13 FS (in box)
-Olympus lens tissue paper (even this is original from Oly!)
-2 bulk film holders ?!? At least I think they are (Asahi Pentax)
-1 loader for these canisters (no brand visible)
-Olympus Auto Bellows
-Olympus Slide copier (without the Oly film-roll holder)
-Olympus Varimagnifier, in original case
-Olympus(!) 55mm A4 (81C) filter
-Olympus(!) 55mm thin Pol (!) filter
-Asahi Pentax 49mm Y2 filter (incl. built in hood)
-Olympus leather T20 pouch
-Olympus OM-2 manual (2 different ones (I think OM-2 and OM-2n))
-Olympus OM system flyer (silver coloured, big format)
-Het Olympus reflex boek, 2nd edition (1979)
-Het grote Olympus boek (Franz Pangerl, 1982)
-Het objectievenboek (Rudolf Smit, 1978)
-Olympus Handboek OM Systeem ("Edition Olympus" a kind of SIF!!!
coming from Oly Netherlands, 1982)
-Copies bellows documentation
Yes, this was my best find, and this is probably my equivalent to Doris's Tamrac + OM-3 + lenses find. For all this, I paid DFl 900,- ($375). I had to let go of the other 50/3.5 I already had at that time, as well as the 35-70/4 I had back then, to be able to afford this buy, but it was well worth it.

Good, that was about it, the rest of my gear (which aren't too many items) were obtained at more regular prices. :)

Cheers,
Olafo

PS: Erwin: ja ik ga nu _echt_ weer aan het werk...;)))