Re: [OM] Olympus Om 35-105 lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Om 35-105 lens
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 08:44:33 +0800
A small scratch (such as the 2mm one) on front element in most case will not
affect performance especially near the edges, since the element size is very
large compare to the scratch. I have a 180/2.8 with 4mm scratch inside the
rear of the front group also a 35/2 with an around 0.5mm glass chip off the
center of front lens, I haven't seen any problem in a lots of test and
normal shots.

On the other hand, too much dust  inside, slightly hazy inside, rub mark on
rear element will create much bigger problem on picture quality, they
usually greatly reduce contrast in backlight shoots.

That is my experience with over 20 bad condition zuikos, I won't mind your
argument of putting logos on the glass, have you seen the Leica super wide
lens, their hood has covered a few mm from the edge of the front glass on
top and bottom side.

C.H.Ling