Re: [OM] Olympus Om 35-105 lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Om 35-105 lens
From: Volkhart Baumgaertner <kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 13:21:42 +0100
Yo,

on Fri, 16 Feb 2001 00:08:45 -0000, John Duggan wrote:

>labelled as Kiron? was actually an Olympus 35/105 zoom lens.He was prepared
>to sell at the original price of  £50 / $75. Cosmetic condition of lens is

That's an excellent price. I paid the equivalent of approx. $ 115.- incl. sh
for mine.

>mint - with just a tiny nick on outside of filter ring. There is however, a
>small scratch about 2mm long 3or 4mm in from the outer edge. this scratch
>basically underlines the "O" in Olympus. Initially the aperture ring felt
>grungy but feels far smoother after a few turns.

>  Does this lens seem good value for money? Is the small scratch likely to
>affect performance ? I assume that the odd feel to the aperture ring was
>caused by lack of use, it seems fine now. Diaphram works fine, no oil on
>blades etc.  Any advice gratefully recieved...

While my sample does not have any scratches, I don't think a scratch as you
described it would have any influence on picture quality. You're probably
right about the aperture ring, and after all you have 2 weeks to test it.
Shoot some pictures with it, especially in lighting conditions where
scratches tend to cause flare (like bright sunlight), and if they turn out
ok, go for it, as this is a great lens.

MtFbwy,
Volkhart

--