[OM] need help with Motor Drive 1!!

Subject: [OM] need help with Motor Drive 1!!
From: Johnsonpa@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 19:50:06 EST
First all thanks, thanks to all who provided advice on changing batteries in
the 15V Control Pack.  Everything seems to have worked out great.  I even
discovered that one of my control packs was not completely dead after all.
The previous owner must have gone swimming with it because the main circuit
board was extremely corroded. Looks like I won't have to send it to John H.
afterall.  Don't worry John, I still have a pile of stuff I need to send to
you and it's one less piece of DOA eBay junk you have to bring back to life!

In any case, I have a problem with an MD1.  Sometimes, not always, the motor
just keeps spinning.  It doesn't keep taking pictures, there is something
that just spins.  To get it stop, I have noticed that it best to face the
camera mount toward the ground and smack (ever so gently) the MD1 in my hand
in a downward direction.  Striking the MD1 in other directions seems to be
less effective at getting it to stop.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?  Electrical or mechanical?
Is there a way to get the MD1 to fire without having a camera body attached.
I'm tempted to take it apart and have a look and see what is spinning, but I
wouldn't know how to fire the MD1.  I'm afraid this is the other half of the
Control Pack that might have gone swimming, so it's not really worth sending
it to John H. unless its a simple fix.

TIA,
--p.j.

FWIW, what does "AFAIK" mean?