Re: [OM] need help with Motor Drive 1!!

Subject: Re: [OM] need help with Motor Drive 1!!
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 22:15:12 -0600
Johnsonpa@xxxxxxx wrote:

> ...I have a problem with an MD1.  Sometimes, not always, the
> motor just keeps spinning.

Like the Winders, the Motor Drive 1 has a rubber ring that translates
the motor's roatation from one gear to another.  Over the years, the
rubber ring dissolves (for lack of a better word) into a black paste
that's frequently mistaken for "grease".  The only reliable solution
I'm aware of is to disassemble and replace the rubber ring (Olympus
part CE-001900).

> Is there a way to get the MD1 to fire without having a camera body
> attached.

Yes -- with power attached and on, _carefully_ short the two silver
posts near the end of the winder with something metal.  BE CAREFUL
not to touch any other part of the motor drive's body -- doing so
may melt the selector switch inside the motor drive or the power
unit.  BTW, it's often overlooked, but you should be sure to turn
the power unit OFF before attaching it to the motor drive, or
attaching the assembly to a camera, especially if the power unit
is a nicad pack.  If shorted (as above), the selector switch can
melt.