Re: [OM] OM 2s vs OM PC Program Mode

Subject: Re: [OM] OM 2s vs OM PC Program Mode
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 10:27:19 +0000 (UTC)
On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Clemente Colayco wrote:

> Are the program modes of the two models above the same? If yes, I wonder why
> people seem to have little liking for the OM PC apart from its supposed
> battery eating problems and poor reliability?

AFAIk, the program-mode is the same, however the OM 40 (what you people
who elected a republican presitent may call "OM PC") has IIRC the added
bonus of being able to do ESP-metering (an early version of "matrix
metering" or "multi-zone
metering").

I love the OM2s/p's I have (spot/program). Not for the program-mode, but
for the spot-metering in manual mode. Olympus could, for that matter,
remove the program-mode from the OM2s/p, and have a camera just as
good. Spot-metering on the OM2 s/p doesn't work in program (or auto) mode.

A significant difference between any two-digit OM (that would be OM 10, F,
G and PC to americans) and the OM2 s/p is the viewfinder-
information. IIRC, the two-digit's show (even in manual mode) only the
camera's suggested setting (i.e. the suggested shutter-speed for a given
apeture), while the single-digit's show "how much off" the manual settings
are from the reccomended. This, in fact, is the key reason why I dislike
the two-digit bodies (I take 99.90f my pictues in manual mode).

Notice, the only two-digit body I have is the OM30, so I may be a bit
rusty on the details above.

> I own one, and I would say its not totally fair to say its just like an OM
> 10. The OM 10 does not do a TTL exposure when using a flash, (whereas the OM
> PC does like the OM 2n if I am right?).
>
> I would like to hear your opinions. For some reason too, I notice that
> pictures I take on my OM PC have more contrast than what comes out of my OM
> 2n especially when I use program mode. Why so?

Sorry, Titoy, I own neither an OM-40 nor an OM10, so I am not really in a
position to tell. However I am of the impression that the OM40
definitely is a worthy camera (As is the OM10, for that matter). I believe
that general consensus around here is, that any camera accepting
Zuiko-glass is worthy ;)

Speaking of glass, when you compare pictures between the OM40 and the
OM2n, do you use different lenses? If so, that may explain the
contrast-differences you experience.

--thomas

> Regards
>
> Titoy