Re: [OM] OM 2s vs OM PC Program Mode

Subject: Re: [OM] OM 2s vs OM PC Program Mode
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 08:09:50 -0600
Hi Clemente,

Clemente Colayco wrote:

> Are the program modes of the two models above the same? If yes, I wonder why
> people seem to have little liking for the OM PC apart from its supposed
> battery eating problems and poor reliability?

IIRC people have always seemed to say *good* things about the OMPC,
apart from its battery eating problems and poor reliability. The program
modes of OMPC and OM-2S are certainly the same in principle, and these
are the only two OMs that have program mode, so they are often uttered
in the same breath, at least on the subject of program mode.
Personally, the only time I've actually used program mode was when
testing the camera and I once lent my OM-2S to a photographically
clueless friend to make snapshots of our old campus during a visit.

> I own one, and I would say its not totally fair to say its just like an OM
> 10. The OM 10 does not do a TTL exposure when using a flash, (whereas the OM
> PC does like the OM 2n if I am right?).

I'd never heard the OMPC compared to the OM10. Maybe in terms of price
point?  They don't seem very similar to each other otherwise in an OM
world, but I know nothing of the OM10. OM-2N and OMPC both do TTL
exposure with flash, the difference being the OMPC can also do TTL
exposure in its program mode, which however is not as versatile for TTL
as auto mode. From a thread about a week ago I learned that the OM-2N
TTL "range" is broader than the OM-2S/4T, which might make it slightly
more versatile for TTL flash than those other cameras.  Presumably it
might be more versatile than the OMPC in this regard as well.

> I would like to hear your opinions. For some reason too, I notice that
> pictures I take on my OM PC have more contrast than what comes out of my OM
> 2n especially when I use program mode. Why so?

Wish fulfillment? ;-)

Joel W.