Re: [OM] First 350/2.8 with Zuiko 1.4XA shots...

Subject: Re: [OM] First 350/2.8 with Zuiko 1.4XA shots...
From: bhinderks@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 14:08:42 -0800
At 01:07 PM 2/20/01 -0800, you wrote:

>This was my first time out with an OM-4T as well. I didn't get real
>creative with the spot meter, but sure love it already. I invite tips
>and suggestions on using it to my advantage. So far I am looking for a
>part of the track surface that is in the same light as what I am
>shooting that looks to be close to 18 0ray, taking a spot reading off
>that, storing it in memory and then shooting as I would with my OM-2S
>(Read: AE and pretty much forget everything except keeping the shutter
>speed in the range I want, focus, and composition). I think I should
>start bringing along a gray card, but think that metering off the track
>(assuming it is not too dark) seems to work well.

Hi Mike,

I'm offlist now as I would likely be burned as a heretic for what I am
about to say. Have had my OM-4 for about 8 years now and I still don't
really trust the AE even with the spotmeter in various combos. I do use the
spotmeter in manual, especially with some of the air to air or ground to
air shots. Doing it that way I have never lost a shot - not something I can
say when in AE. Could well be my befuddled brain and the fact I am so used
to my OM-1s. Now AE for fill flash is a different story - that works
realllly well - especially shooting pilots in the left seat with the light
streaming in through the cockpit windows and flash bounced off the overhead
- much easier than the OM-1.

Using the track as a gigantic gray card is right on. When I used to shoot
racing it worked every time. Am sure you know the tone you need or the
"extra little bit to add or discard to get it right" when metering in
manual - especially with the spot.

Your comments re the scanning are right on - I could envision #28 and the
missing detail - the slide must be stunning.

Barry H