Re: [OM] Zuikostatistics 101

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuikostatistics 101
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:10:32 EST
In a message dated 2/21/01 8:32:34 AM Pacific Standard Time,
pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>snip<
> However, I seriously question whether many folks would
>  pay for such rigorously compiled data and a statistically valid analysis
>  of the same. It runs hand in hand with me professionally questioning, as
>  a research biologist, whether American society even values good science.
>snip<

Gary, I have to agree with you.  I took a course in statistics as part of my
degree, and have been maddened by the "latest research shows" news reports on
the nightly news (usually followed within months by "research" stating just
the opposite conclusion: "Coffee is good for you/coffee causes bladder
cancer", etc.).  I know to take things with a large grain of salt, but I
question whether the average citizen does, or even cares.  And I believe that
there is a lot of apathy from drug & cigarette companies, in particular,
outright lying to the consumer.  And more recently, we have Firestone, and
maybe, gulp, my beloved Ford, trying to lie with statistics.

It would be nice if kids were given a basic consumer information course in
high school (some schools do this) that includes elementary statistics.  But
as you noted, schools are struggling to keep kids enrolled long enough to
graduate with the basics (understanding that 1/4 and 0.25 are equivalent, for
example).  The latest figures (here we go....) on the Seattle school district
show about a 23 0rop out rate, which to me, is intolerable.  We are in REAL
trouble, as a society, and a nation, in the world, if we allow the current
state of education to continue to fester.  Testing ISN'T the answer.  (Sorry,
Shrub).

As regards your OM data, heck yes, I'm sure many of us are VERY interested in
it.  And would be willing to help defray the costs of your time and efforts
in assimilating this info.  I myself contributed to some crazy bids over
Christmas (won't do that again), but have since lost some GREAT deals by just
a dollar or two).  Having a very solid feel for the true market value of any
OM item would be invaluable.  I've been using Skip Williams' lens price info.
as a "general" guide for lens purchases.

I usually try to "read between the lines" to get a feel for the seller's
honesty, etc. (how much info. does he include in the item description; is
there a good, clear photo of the item's front, back, top, bottom; what does
the seller's feedback reflect, etc.) and bid accordingly.  And sprinkle that
"feel" with a good dose of Tom Scales' patience (yeah, right).  But I never
feel comfortable, even with a price I know to be a DF deal, until I hold it
in my hands and KNOW it's as advertised.  More info. during the research
stage of the transaction would sure be helpful, though, esp. statistically
valid ranges of prices linked to conditions.

Now that you've "let the cat out of the bag", ........ how much is the cat?
What's it gonna take?

Rich