Re: [OM] Zuikostatistics 101

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuikostatistics 101
From: Kelton Rhoads <krho@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 11:23:50 -0800
Gary Reese said:

>For nearly three years, I've
>recorded each and every auction for single items or standard body/lens
>combos on virtually everything marketed in the OM System.

>I've also condition graded all of these individual auctions,
>based on all the word and picture clues the seller provided, plus coded
>an uncertainty level if I had more than typical doubts

>However, I seriously question whether many folks would
>pay for such rigorously compiled data and a statistically valid analysis
>of the same.

You . . . have . . . three years of * POPULATION * data, not just data
from a convenience sample?!? WITH CONDITION GRADES?!! Must . . . sit . .
. down (taking deep breaths, grasping onto arms of chair, feeling dizzy,
speaking while head is placed between knees--) Gary, you have an
incredibly valuable resource here. Your data should be the basis of a
published camera price guide, and an exceedingly accurate one at that. I
would gladly pay for such information, either in pre- or post-
publication form. Um, considering the investment of time this must have
taken . . . how did you pull this off? Are you funded by a third party to
collect this data? Do you have some kind of program that automatically
DLs this information? Have you (shudder) been doing it by hand? How did
this come about? Have you approached any publishers and told them about
your dataset?