Re: [OM] Nice 35-70/3.5-4.5 Zuiko vs 35-70 F4

Subject: Re: [OM] Nice 35-70/3.5-4.5 Zuiko vs 35-70 F4
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:39:51 -0800
Clemente Colayco wrote:

<< Is the F 3.6 much higher in resolution than the f4? >>

At what aperture?  What focal length?  Centered?  Corners?  What
distance?  High contrast image resolution, or low contrast?

We compiled the original Modern Photography lens test data and it's at:
http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/mp-zuiko-tests.txt

For decades I avoided the f/3.6 because of those two tests. The corner
contrast bothered me.  Boy, did I miss out.  I always wondered how badly
this hurt the sale of the f/3.6?  Now I have no reservations about using
it for any serious shoot. With today's, typical high contrast color
films, it's optical design favoring resolution over contrast is just the
ticket for big, pleasant enlargements.

The S Zuiko f/4 I originally bought fell apart in no time flat due to
inferior build quality.

Of course, you'll want the 35-70/3.5-4.5, too. It's ultra contrasty and
the champ for a lightweight, compact walk-about lens. So far it appears
to be the best in its class, although the Konica variable aperture one
might be a great performer, too.

Careful interpretating the Modern data. Don't use the words Ex, VG, Hi,
etc. since there is a 6 year time span difference and the criteria
changed. Plus they are film based tests with film improvement happening
over the course of their testing. (Have we heard "confounding" here
before!)  Furthermore, I really think Modern had a bum sample of a
f/3.6, since mine (see my lens tests) doesn't deteriorate towards the
long end the way their sample clearly did. Also, Modern obviously didn't
have a body that offered automatic diaphragm prefire, even though
Herbert Keepler was writing that it was an issue. When I said about the
f/3.6:
"Greatly benefits from using mirror and diaphragm prefire [when used] on
a tripod"
I really mean it.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV