Re: [OM] What to buy?

Subject: Re: [OM] What to buy?
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 18:30:19 +0100
: Now I want to use it to take pictures of birds. I already own a lens
: to take pictures of birds (buderigars) from a photocage, but now I
: want to take pictures of our native wildlife. What kind of lens would
: one need to take pictures of small birds at let's say 50 yards?
: Or would I be better of with a T-adapter and a good spotting scope?

Hallo Venlo!

Wild bird photography is one the most difficult and challenging tasks in
photography. Most birds are just too small, too quick and too scary to be
captured even with the longest lenses. Professional bird photographers use
camouflage tents, with lenses in the 200 - 600mm range and a shooting distance
of only a couple of meters (10 meters at the most).

When you try to capture a small bird from 50 meters with a 1000mm lens (which is
the longest lens Olympus has) you'll find the bird is still small (does not fill
the frame at all). Besides such long lenses are so slow (F11, or F16 if you use
a 500mm mirror lens with a teleconverter) that you need at least a 1600 ASA film
and sunshine to get something like 1/500 shutter speed and their lens speed
makes focusing very difficult because the viewfinder gets very dark.

I'ld suggest trying to get the Zuiko 300mm/F4.5, and begin with birds that are
bigger and more used to people (easier to approach), like swans or seagulls.

hnz