Re: [OM] I, well, sort of, accidently bought, um, some more equipment.

Subject: Re: [OM] I, well, sort of, accidently bought, um, some more equipment.
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 19:19:42 -0600
Sorry, I'm a top quoter <g>.

Our lives are quite interesting.

- Both our daughters are adopted.
- They are 8 months apart (as of this Saturday, for four months, I have TWO
8 year olds. Just wait until I have 2 13 year olds)
- My oldest is 3'11 and white
- My youngest is 4'7" (at 7!) and black
- My wife is disabled and uses a wheelchair when we're out.

You should see us at the mall.  People have no CLUE what to think of us.

They're a handful.  They love each and hate each other, all in the same
afternoon.  They're a lot of fun though.  We just finished the basketball
season. This year they were on the same team. My youngest plays Center and
my oldest is the Point guard.  She has a wicked shot.  She competed in a
free throw competition and tied for first in the 8-12 age bracket.  They
shot as many times as they could in thirty seconds. She made 8 shots in
thirty seconds.  My youngest is the rebounder. She is completely fearless
and understands the concept of blocking out.  She does not like losing the
rebound.

They're team turned out to be pretty good.  While, in theory, they don't
keep score, the, uh, parents do.  They went 6-2 and in their wins, were
pretty dominant.  The point though, which I support, is to have a lot of
fun, learn a little about the game, and learn a lot about being a part of a
team.  It is a huge program, run by the Optimist club.  In the 2nd and 3rd
grade girls, they had a couple hundred girls.  They run all the sports
programs.  They have the largest sports complex in Texas.  They played
soccer in the fall.  The sports complex and run 36 soccer games and 10
softball/baseball games AT THE SAME TIME.

All with volunteers.  The complex is in prime residential real estate and we
guessed that it is about 3/4 mile by 1 mile.  I can't even guess at the land
value.

I'm sort of the unofficial team photographer.  I didn't shoot as much of the
basketball as I should and what I did, I haven't posted yet. I'm not very
good at it, but I shoot a lot of film, and at the end of the season put a
packet together for each girl on the team. I try to make sure I get a couple
shots each game of each girl. They seem to really like it.

Kids sure are work though.

Tom

OM content -- probably not much, but all the shots were with OM equipment.