Re: [OM] It's 7.0!!

Subject: Re: [OM] It's 7.0!!
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:15:38 -0700
At 04:57 PM 2/28/01 -0500, Dirk Wright (in reply to Rich [Doggre@xxxxxxx]) wrote:

>I just got home from work.  No power.  Traffic lights are off all over.
>Traffic is nuts.  EVERYBODY left for home at once.  It's like the Friday
>before the 4th of July or Labor Day.

Uh, how did you send this email if you no got'em power???

I'm guessing either (a) a laptop and a dial-up (phone systems use battery power when the mains go off-line) or (b) power outages are sporadic and geographically randomized, and Rich's domicile is "lucky."

My wife's in Vancouver, Canada today for work-related meetings. There are no reports of serious damage or injuries there, but as one radio announcer pointed out, that's possibly because they're having a hard time getting through to Van. I've tried my wife's pager, and I'm getting nowhere. If it was a 7.0 near Seattle, it's gotta be a 5.5 or 6.0 at Van. Damn! Wish I could get through...

Garth